Global News

Struggling baby giraffe dies at the Maryland Zoo

Struggling baby giraffe dies at the Maryland Zoo

The calf was born on June 15 with many heath issues. After a Herculean effort, exploring every possibility, he was unable to survive.

The staff at the Maryland Zoo named the baby giraffe Julius, "which means 'youthful, downy-bearded, ' both of which he is", the zoo's conservation manager, Erin Cantwell, said. Veterinary staff had placed him on a life support central line at that stage.

It appears that Julius was doomed from the start. Officials said he has had trouble nursing since he was born, which has prevented him from getting essential antibodies from his mother.

Julius was the first-born of his mother, Kesi. Despite this, Kesi did everything a mother could to care for her baby.

"We would like to thank the thousands of people from around the world who have sent positive thoughts and prayers to Julius and the staff here at the Zoo", concluded Hutchinson.

Coolaroo recycling plant fire: Dallas homes evacuated as smoke poses health threat
It was the third time a fire has broken out at the Coolaroo recycling center this year, with previous ones in June and February. They were told to stay indoors, close all exterior doors, windows and vents and turn off all heating and cooling systems.

Julius received an emergency transfusion of giraffe plasma donated by the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and another transfusion donated by the Columbus Zoo. Antibiotics, IV's of fluids, and other special care were also given to the young giraffe.

"His condition took a sharp turn downward overnight, and we had to make the hard decision to humanely euthanize him". It was not the outcome they wanted, according to the Denver Post, but they had tried everything to nurse him back to health, and then to make him comfortable and keep him out of distress.

They hope to learn why Julius was put at a health deficit, and learn from it so that it will hopefully never happen again.

The giraffe calf died at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore on Saturday after a tumultuous month-long battle for life, the zoo said in a statement.

"Despite intensive medical interventions, tube feeding and around the clock care, Julius remained a critical patient", stated Dr. Samantha Sander, associate veterinarian at the Zoo.