Health Care

Moscow Mules could be poisoning drinkers

Moscow Mules could be poisoning drinkers

For the uninitiated, a Moscow Mule has vodka, ginger beer, and lime, and thus is acidic, explains Live Science. According to the Food and Drug Administration's Moral Food Code, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.

According to an advisory bulletin published late last month from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, copper mugs may be poisoning drinkers.

Food experts have long known not to use copper, or copper-related pots and pans for cooking acidic recipes such as tomato sauce. That includes vinegar, wine, and Moscow Mules. It conducted a study and concluded using the signature mug for any liquid or food with a pH balance of below 6 could result in food poisoning or copper poisoning. When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.

No alcoholic drink may be more recognizable than the Moscow mule, and often it has nothing to do with the actual drink. Besides posing health threats, using cookware made of reactive metals such as copper, aluminum, iron and steel are also known to have unwanted effect on the food.

Yellow weather warning issued for London as heavy rain moves south
The warnings come three weeks after heavy rain lashed the country and led to flash flooding in the coastal village of Coverack. The Met Office said: "Some transport routes may be affected by localised flooding leading to longer journey times".

The new warning was issued as the Mule becomes increasingly popularly in social media with users posting photos of the cocktail in attractive mugs online.

"Mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage".

Not all copper mugs, however, are poisonous. National Library of Medicine, consuming large amounts of copper can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and yellow skin (jaundice). As long as the mug is lined with another metal, like nickel or stainless steel, you should be OK. "However, serious health problems from long-term exposure to copper can occur".