Global News

Senate to Hold Hearing on Cuba 'Sonic Attacks'

Senate to Hold Hearing on Cuba 'Sonic Attacks'

"The FBI is saying that there's no evidence of a sonic attack".

"There are some people with symptoms happening that are unexplained", Flake, R-Ariz., told CNN last week while visiting the island.

Flake said classified briefings support Cuba's denials of involvement in the incidents.

Cuba has not questioned the health problems that the U.S. diplomats have suffered, but assures they were not the result of any attack.

"The Cuban Interior Ministry is saying the Federal Bureau of Investigation has told them there is no evidence of a sonic attack, even though that term is being used, attack, there is no evidence of it", Sen. "We shouldn't be using that word". Securing the USA border and figuring out how to normalize the status of "the 10 million to 15 million undocumented immigrants" already here - "who, let's be honest, will not and should not be forcibly removed" - are the two biggest challenges, they add, and "when prioritizing the immigration problems we face, the case of 200,000 Salvadorans who accepted our invitation to live and work here legally would not even make a Top 10 list".

Announced in December 2014, the thawing of U.S. -Cuba relations did not officially take effect until July 2015 when the two countries reopened their respective embassies in Washington and Havana, among other actions. Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican, shot back to Flake on Twitter.

But US scientists have no idea what kind of weapon or agent could cause the symptoms, or whether the sounds heard were a by-product of the attack or its means of delivery. At that point, more than 20 officials had gotten sick.

Red Fort attack: Suspect caught after 17 years of evasion
That's LeT terror suspect Bilal Ahmed Kawa who orchestrated a terror on the Red Fort in 2000, which killed three people. The Deputy Commissioner of Police ( Special Cell ) P S Kushwah said that the questing was underway.

Although the United States hasn't specifically blamed Cuba for damaging the health of the diplomats, who have exhibited a variety of symptoms from hearing loss, ringing in the ears, cognitive confusion and mild concussions, both Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Francisco Palmieri, acting assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere Affairs, have called the incidents attacks.

The June visit to Havana by Dr. Jeffrey Chernin of Health Canada revealed symptoms similar to those experienced by USA personnel in Cuba, the internal Global Affairs Canada notes say.

USA investigators are looking at a range of theories, including the possibility of a "viral" attack, to explain what may have sickened some American diplomats who were stationed in Havana, the State Department said on Tuesday, reported Reuters. The FBI has not released its report on the injuries, made after repeated inspections of the diplomats' residences.

Cuban officials have denied any responsibility for the injuries, which followed the reopening of diplomatic relations with the U.S. in 2015.

FBI agents investigated the incidents in Cuba but so far have not determined what caused the illnesses.

Palmieri replied that Tillerson has chose to convene an Accountability Review Board and that a congressional notification will be sent shortly. The most well-known recent review board followed the deadly attack on a diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in 2012. Flake told the Associated Press (AP). We still do not have definitive answers on the source or cause of the attacks. While the injuries came to light in May, Tillerson just last month authorized the review.

"I still believe that the Cuban government, someone within the Cuban government can bring this to an end", Tillerson said. "The American people deserve to know ... how did it happen, who did it, and more importantly, how did the State Department respond?"